Thursday, November 8, 2012

After 11-6-12...

I live in the south, as most of you know.  After November 6th, I've heard individuals say things like, "I'm moving to Canada.....or [insert English-speaking-country-other-than-the-U.S. here}."  I guess as Americans we can say things like that without consequence.  I've often wondered if people who said these things really knew what it meant to uproot and move to another country.  See, the very reason they want to move to another country is the reason people sell everything they have, sometimes risk their lives, and move here.  We have such a unique privelege of voting-actually having a say in who runs the country.  The individual elected may not be their choice, but the country-as a whole- chose. Chose!  That's an idea most in this world will never be able to experience when it comes to government.

You will never here me say who I voted for. I'm not telling. You will never here me say if "my guy" won or lost.  I voted, however for the individual who I believe "get's it" when it comes to immigration.  They understand how important it is to spread ideas of a fair, fact-based shared future.  Whomever is in office, I hope we can respect what an incredibly difficult job it is to run a country of folks who completely disagree on almost everything-peacefully.

While I keep hearing negative comments from what I like to call the 'I'm-a-little-bored-on-Facebook,-so-I'll -share-the-first-thing-that-comes-to-mind folks,' I have a VERY positive outlook after Wednesday.  What the close election means to me is that folks are unhappy with the stalemate.  Folks want something to MOVE in Washington.  Democrats are pushing to compromise and so are Republicans.  The large amount of Hispanic voters had voice.  Washington heard-how could they not?

I hope one day to read or hear a statement like this:
"The Government's number one priority remains the economy and job growth. Immigration backlogs are detrimental to our ability to attract the world's top talent. With the decisive actions we've taken to tackle the backlog, we will finally be able to select immigrants who better meet the needs of the [insert country here] labor market. We will aim to process their applications in less than 12 months." (http://uspolitics.einnews.com/pr_news/121626013/an-immigration-system-that-works-for-canada-s-economy)

If you think this statement was issued in the U.S., you would be sadly mistaken.  Minister Kenney of Canada   made this statement last week after the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) announced that it will be admitting up to 55,300 persons in the "Federal Skilled Worker" category.  Read the rest of the article....it's pretty great.

So move to Canada if you wish-fine with me.  I'd like to move Canada's priorty to boost the economy and promote comprehensive immigration reform HERE!

P.S. WAY TO GO MARYLAND! http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2012/11/07/maryland-passes-dream-act

No comments:

Post a Comment